PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Unintentional Flight Into IMC.
View Single Post
Old 5th Dec 2020, 10:09
Olympia463

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cloud flying

Who flies into IMC in a glider with NO turn and slip?? That pair must have been be mad as well as very lucky. I have flown a glider in cloud very occasionally but NEVER without a T/S. My most alarming trip was in my own glider which was fitted with an artificial horizon. Full of confidence I switched on the horizon and entered a large Cu at 4000ft and started to climb. At 8000ft things got very turbulent, and it seemed to be raining upwards, as the vario went on to its stop at +20kts. It took quite a while and another 2000ft to level the wings and fly out of the side of what was clearly a massive cloud. I LAFFT (I learned about flying from that). Did a nice cross country over the North York moors though.

The site I was flying from (Sutton Bank) had had a fatality earlier that year to a cloud flier whose plane disintegrated. I think that might have influenced my decision to leave while I was still ahead. I had some training in flying in cloud on the T/S alone in a two seater with an instructor, but it didn't really prepare me for that flight.