PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Is it possible? A modern VC 10
View Single Post
Old 2nd Dec 2020, 14:05
Gipsy Queen

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Una Due Tfc
Difference being the two cars you mention were successful, whereas the VC-10 was a commercial failure.
And whose fault was that?

I believe the VC10 was not a speculative initiative by Vickers; it was a response to a series of parameters drawn up by BOAC and others. BOAC/BA only more recently have found out that "off the peg" designs can be accommodated within its operations. If they had discovered this earlier, we might have been spared the horrid One Eleven.

Granted the VC10 was a noisy beast, but only on the outside; memory might be playing tricks but I think it must be the quietest aircraft I have experienced as a passenger. I flew in it quite often as pax and once when grounded in FRA (trouble with the eponymous engine on DH104) had breakfast with Flaps Rendall, a charming man and excellent company, so I'm rather attached to the old Vickers, but I think it is best left to remain a fond recollection in the memory of those who were privileged to have been associated with it.

Retired BA/BY. made a noise like ripping calico. totally out of proportion to its grunt ! Not sure about the calico but the noise/power disproportion could be applied to the Leonides in the piston Provost too. There seem to be a lot of old people contributing to this thread!

Last edited by Gipsy Queen; 2nd Dec 2020 at 14:21.