PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Boeing 737 Max Recertification Testing - Finally.
Old 29th Nov 2020, 15:46
gums

Received 55 Likes on 16 Posts
Outstanding points, WHBM !

I speak from several decades of flying the beasts, instructing in the suckers, and associating with those that flew the ones I did not.

Contrary to one or more contributors here, training can compensate for design deficiencies that resulted in undesireable aerodynamic characterstics. In other words, some planes worked better over most of the envelope than others, but one corner might have its problems. Other planes had great performance overall only if flown with a few things in mind.

So WHBM raises one of the best issues for discussion amongst we "professionals", huh?

The "no training required, but a 15 minute iPad check box session" for the Max was damned near criminal, in my not so humble opinion. If the MCAS was a cert requirement due to inherent and new aero characteristics of the plane I have to fly for the 0915 flight to Topeka, what was it and do I need to do something different and new ?? As good as I was, I was not a Chuck Yeager clone and only explored new aspects of the envelope a few times and they were not due to design or aero problems. One plane I flew had definite problems and the training was a key element that kept most pilots from departing the sucker ( F-101 Voodoo), Ask any Hun or Phantom driver how much aileron they used when at high AoA and the sucker was buffeting. Talk to a Mirage or Deuce or Six pilot about holding back stick and watching the rate of climb needle pegged going down while the plane seemed under control ( ditto for the crew of AF447). You can train to a great extent that compensate for the jet's aero characteristics when a blank sheet new design or harsh mod is not an option.

If they would let me do it right now, I would relish flying the real plane without MCAS enabled just to see "how it felt" if I pulled too hard in the pattern at holding speed/AoA. Would hope all 737 pilots could have that opportunity, wouldn't you? Can we demo this in the new, cosmic, realistic year 2020 sim for the Max? In other words, show me the difference that MCAS makes. Show me the trim wheel force requirements if I screw up and get going real fast with lottsa nose down trim. Show me how the normal yoke trim switches override the MCAS nose down commands. And the beat goes on. I wanna "feel" it, and I want my pilots to "feel" it. It is "touch" that separates "pilots" from mechanical technicians up there in the front of the plane.

Enuf rant, and now I have a second U.S. Thanksgiving dinner with the remains from Thursday, heh heh.