PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Why is automation dependency encouraged in modern aviation ?
Old 27th Nov 2020, 11:29
Consol

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I hand fly much more than usual in my company which is very good about manual flying. I keep my SEP current too. Most of the F.O.s are very good, well trained individuals who like to fly but most are still expecting an 'AP1 on' call after gear up and I often hear 'I'll put the autopilot in right after departure' in their briefings (CAVOK or near it). There's a bit of varience of course and the auto thrust is almost always left in. Point is they have picked this up from nervous Nellies in the training department and then the line and assume it's the norm. Add to that the P1s who have memorised all the FDR flags and have evolved theories of 'If anything happens they'll have my licence and I'll be thrown in jail' and you are not going to have a situation where the F.O. is going to do much hand flying lest the most minor correction be necessary or a trivial amber FDR flag be raised.
Point is the example has to be set from the left seat for the day when they are sitting there and something breaks and I am sitting back in 4A with a well preserved widowed heiress intending to enjoy retirement.