PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Why is automation dependency encouraged in modern aviation ?
Old 27th Nov 2020, 04:42
Check Airman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Vessbot
So I think that the maintenance of a level of comfort and willingness to fly the airplane when required, including at sudden provocation, is not too much to ask for. And, living every day in a world where it’s as rare as hen’s teeth to see someone fly it above 1000 feet, and seeing example after bewildering example of accidents like these, I don’t feel this general comfort level around me. I have to disagree with your evaluation that “it’s not a problem.”
I think a competent pilot should be able to slip effortlessly between flying with full automation, and no automation. Turning off the AP shouldn't require a briefing, or lengthy assessment of the conditions, or paperwork after the fact. Automated systems can and do fail.

If you find yourself rapidly changing modes and trying to think of what potential trap your previous or next mode selection will have, ask yourself if the AP is there to help you, or if you're there to help the AP.