PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Why I Love Being an Aircraft Engineer
View Single Post
Old 23rd Nov 2020, 23:23
Cat Techie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Rigga
After my meagre training, I started working on Whirlwind Helicopters (S55T for A&Ps) on a Hangar “Rectification Team” and when found to be of sufficient standard, I was pushed out to do Line maintenance - a job I thoroughly enjoyed. However, because I’d been in the hangar for that short period I was the only person on the Line with experience of re-hanging cabin doors that had been erroneously ejected! Kudos from my seniors and superiors!
In a career of more than 45 years, I have done line, hangar and bay work (and now lots of office work too) to gain quite some depth as to how fixed wing and rotary aircraft work and how to manage them. In my view, any work on aircraft or their components is challenging purely because of its implications - and to complete any period without incident or accident is deserving of QUIET self-congratulation. But you’re still waiting for the next problem....
Do not disagree with that. Look at the problem. Is it a fault isolation lead or not. Sometimes it is not so if it doesn't fit the write up or not mentioned, do not guess. I have had problems where injects from others have added additional issues as they have gone for solutions that never fitted the original issue. If not sure, read up on the system operation again. All of us never remember everything. We are technicians, not the designers. However use common sense. Don't miss anything, record everything in the technical detail that makes it obvious. I have had things go off the overhaul, were a paper pusher has raised the RO on a pilot snag, not for the reason I removed the item as it was actually a fail on fit and was missed. You find D and B damage. Report it. If in SRM limits , recorded it! Some other person gets dumped with it or it will bite you later.