PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW II
View Single Post
Old 22nd Nov 2020, 18:14
dogle

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Pursuant to our late CO’s brilliant metaphor .... long have I lurked in the nether regions of our ‘virtual crewroom’, just cleaning up the ‘tea swindle’ mugs but with ears always a-flapping (twixt now ever-more-frequent sorties to the ablutions) to pick up the wonderful conversation from around the stove.

... the stove has gone cold now, it seems, and I gaze with sadness upon the battered armchair next to it, now empty and perhaps never again to be occupied. If Danny - God bless him! - be gazing down upon us ‘from a great height’ now, I fear he might be most displeased to see this “best of all threads” left to wither on the vine.

That must not be! This thread is a unique, and absolutely irreplaceable, record of history-as-it-happened. Can any of our crew with sharper technical skills than mine see a way to preserve it for posterity, whatever may happen to PPrune in the future . ... perhaps as a contribution to the Imperial War Museum database?

That sombre stuff said, I don’t think we’re quite done yet!

- We’ve had some truly spendid contributions from the descendants of former WW II pilots who are no longer with us, and I hope that more such may emerge if this thread may continue for longer.

- I for one - to my shame - have a number of queries etc. on which I should have posted much earlier and didn’t, but which may still help to keep this thread alive long enough for more valuable contributions to emerge if I so do now ... I suspect that I am not alone in this respect! ... what do you think, folks? Can we keep this show on the road a little longer?