PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Aussie SAS report
View Single Post
Old 21st Nov 2020, 00:53
FWRWATPLX2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Australian SAS Report

Well, that's that, tried, judged, and convicted on PPRUNE. Pffft!

Kind of like folks who write "as if" authoritatively about Aviation matters on this forum who are not even Pilots or Aircraft Mechanics.

Of all who has had something to write, how many have served and I do not mean Boy Scouts, Girls Scouts, or Sea Cadets?

I think one thing we overlook is the state of mind of each one who has "allegedly" committed war crimes.

During my 13.5 years in the Army, I found it populated by four distinct personality-types: the ambitious, the obstructionist sycophants, the jealous under-achievers, the indifferent shirkers.

Before you judge these SAS soldiers too harshly, please consider history, more than five decades ago, 16 March 1968, in the village of My Lai, Vietnam, where Lieutenant William Calley "assumed that his order by Captain Medina to 'kill the enemy' meant to kill everyone." At his trial he stated, "That was my job, that day." He did not discriminate in his 25 year old mind who or which man or woman or even child has a hand grenade or simply a bowl of rice.

I am not condoning their actions, at all. This situation cannot merely be attributed to the reasoning, "I was following orders." As an enlisted man, following orders and "rules of engagement" is only a small part of the mental challenges to sound decision-making. Believing in one's own mind (real or imagined) about what is expected by a Squad Leader, Platoon Sergeant, Platoon Leader, the Commander, must certainly play a part. The need to be seen as doing your part. The need to earn respect and approval and trust. The need to earn promotion or sufficient points for promotion. The need to prove one can do a better job than anyone else around them. All of these are a factor and plays on the mind. Perhaps the "Green on Blue" killings of Australian diggers factored in.

IF we were not there, on the day, witnessing it with our own eyes, then we do not really know.

I dare say, they did not exhibit a "Warrior Culture", but they, themselves are the victims of a Culture of War. Every war, throughout history has endured the same tragedies with Prisoners of War and innocent non-combatants being killed.

December 1937 and the following six weeks 300,000 men, women and children were butchered by the Japanese Imperial Forces, in Nanking, China with 20,000 to 80,000 young girls and women raped by them. Who cries for them? The perpetrators are enshrined national heroes.

February 1945, 2700 tons of bombs were dropped by 800 bombers of British Bomber Command, on Dresden, followed by 400 tons by the U.S. 8th Air Force, the following day. Estimates as high at 250,000, including refugees, mostly women, children, and the elderly were victims -not merely 39. Is anyone aghast by that loss of life?

Time to wake up to the realities of war. These SAS soldiers are not fallen angels. They were specially selected for certain personality attributes, then trained by designed to be efficient killing machines.

All that written, I am not condoning what they did. I am merely analyzing it from my military experience and history.

Have a go. I have thick skin and basically don't give a sh_t what you reply.