PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Birmingham-8
Thread: Birmingham-8
View Single Post
Old 19th Nov 2020, 13:16
GayFriendly

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
one thing i find interesting is that even after years of stagnation, for Ryanair to proposed an additional 35-40 weekly flights and an increase of their BHX operations by 25% is big shock. but will it happen?
I think FR are probably doing this type of increased, speculative slot application at many of their base airports as a negotiating tool to get rock bottom deals - in other words look what we can do to help you increase traffic as long as you do us a deal or we will expand elsewhere - isn't this always how they have 'negotiated' with airports?

But will this happen at BHX? I doubt it but with expansion at LTN, BRS and MAN by a number of airlines already either confirmed or very strongly rumoured, BHX needs to act fast - remember it lost Flybe just before the Covid **** really hit the fan and very little of that capacity or routes has been replaced (or is even being planned to), so BHX is already very much on the backfoot for 2021 even without taking Covid into account.

This is what MOL had to say in an interview with Anna Aero this week:

Rapid recovery for airports will go to those airport operators who are swift and responsive and which come up with the right traffic growth incentives.” “We have to make aircraft allocation decisions for S21. We’re finalising our schedules, that’s why we’re in active discussion with progressive airports.”

“Stansted and Manchester get it”, O’Leary said, likewise “airports in Eastern and Central Europe, in Italy, Beauvais [a new base that opens in January 2021]…” Growth at such airports – and others like them – for next summer is probably assured.
Only time will tell if BHX 'gets it'.....

If a vaccine does become widely available over the next 6-8 months (looking ever more likely) and the Govt. doesn't cock up the logistics of getting it out and administered to the public, then I think Summer 21 will see a huge amount of pent up demand for short haul travel and holidays and those airports who have got a competitive mix of airlines, routes and frequencies in place will recover quickly and strongly, leaving those who are still in the doldrums in their wake.