PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Nimrod XV 256 accident (1980)
View Single Post
Old 18th Nov 2020, 13:50
Distant Voice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nimrod XV 256 accident (1980)

Yesterday, (17th Nov), was the 40th anniversary of the tragic accident involving Nimrod XV256. This was one of the first military accidents in Scotland that should have been covered by the 1976 Fatal Accident and Sudden Deaths Act, but no FAI took place. I don't suppose anyone informed the families of those that died that, according to Scots Law, their loved ones were not employed at the time of the accident and as such did not "die in the course of their employment".

I have been reading the official MoD Military Accident Summary, dated 3rd June 1982, and I am struck by two statements in the document that beg investigation by an independent legal body (inquest/FAI), had one taken place.

"Prior to every aircraft movement an airfield search for birds was made and on this occasion the search, made in semi-darkness, did not reveal any roosting birds"

"During the period 30 minutes before and after first and last light, take-offs and landings are not permitted unless operationally essential."

I have two questions that could have been put to MoD by an independent inquiry, (1) How effective did you expect a search in semi-darkness to be, bearing in mind that over 77 large Canadian geese were missed, and (2) If dawn was at 0719 hrs why was an aircraft allowed to take-off before 0749 hrs? N.B Sunrise was at 0804 hrs.

DV

Last edited by Distant Voice; 18th Nov 2020 at 14:01.