PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - All borders to reopen.
View Single Post
Old 17th Nov 2020, 08:15
KRviator

Received 117 Likes on 61 Posts
Originally Posted by Malakor1
Probably harder to enact that you. RAAF Learmonth is used frequently by various squadrons and when they isolated some people there earlier this year before transporting them to Christmas it caused a lot of hassle with ADF members not able to use the facilities for up to 2 weeks after they left.

RAAF Tindal is an active fighter base with most members living on base with their families - not a great move.

Scherger and Curtin are bare bases and have minimal if any facilities in place. I guess the government could build a tin city of donnas but would need significant investment.
Nothing wrong with Scheger. Spent many a week there in a previous life, both wearing the spots and dots and with Ronny. Plenty of demountables, or at least, there were, and if not, there's plenty of space for 11x11's and stretchers in the aircraft shelters. Depends how badly people want to come home, and how much ownership the Fed's want to take...

"What's that, Mr & Ms returning citizen? You don't want to sleep in a tent for a fortnight? That's fine, no hard feelings. When COVID is beaten, once and for all, you're welcome to come home then. But until that time, the door's closed...."

If I were running things, that's exactly what I'd do...A bunch of tents in half the shelters, meals served in hot-boxes the same way diggers get them in the field and some movies on a projector at night. It's not meant to be a bloody holiday but a means to get you home without bringing the pestilence with you. Given the choice between being stuck overseas wishing I was home, or sleeping on a cot at Scherger for 2 weeks, I know what I'd rather!