PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - UK Charter Airlines - how did crewing for the regional airports work ?
Old 15th Nov 2020, 16:12
condor17

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Might as well join in the memory trail ..
Feb '69 was the 1st time I'd ever met an airline crew . Me , 16 going across and up , across and up ...
Norfolk to Aberdovey to the Outward Bound Sea School by British Rail . BCAL crew in uniform across the aisle ; alighting in Coventry or BHX . Cannot remember which !
20 years on , me sneaking home by rail from BHX after an FDP , uniform well disguised .
Hallmark transport rings a pleasant bell . No competition was crew transport from LTN to 'The Noke' by the M1 . Leyland trannie van rusting and rattling down M1 . Same age as the 25yrs old Tristars we were flying , and 25yr old Court Line Bedford TK steps at LTN .
When we got to Carribbean , via Santa Maria or Holiday Inn Bangor ! Crew trans.. could be a Bandit for the 15 of us .... But the c/c baggage would have to go ahead in a Twin Cessna [ 404 , 414 ] . 'Tho one memorable roster change was even older than the LTN ones . A 30 yr old Learjet for the 3 flight deck .. Greneda , St Juan , Orlando [ Sanford ] .. did not quite compensate for 4 days on the beach 'tho .

Sky gypsies indeed we were .

rgds condor .