PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - US Navy TexanT6 crash fatal 10-23
View Single Post
Old 12th Nov 2020, 14:23
Lonewolf_50

Received 393 Likes on 244 Posts
EDIT: For UJC. Sorry, I missed your post, nice summary.
Originally Posted by OK465
Our family T-6/T-34 instructor told me something else of interest.
In the T-34C they taught both spins and circuit oriented cross-controlled departures.
The cross control departure that was taught was called "skidded turn stall" and it was done dirty: gear down flaps up, 100 knots (pattern airspeed).
There was a T-34C mishap in January of 2006 in Corpus Christi that was probably that. Based on where the crash was (near the 90 position for the outlying field) and the rapidity with which it occurred, and the eye witness statements, OCF below pattern altitude so it was over in a hurry. (Might also have been an approach turn stall ... )
In the T-6 syllabus, spins are taught, but not cross-controlled departures. Minimum entry altitude for spins, 16,000'. Not recovered by altitude, they use 10,000' also in training.
Ah, so they have not changed the syllabus since I last saw it. Interesting to know.
Looking at that plot from 'ugly jet' driver in post #47, if accurate, it shows an altitude of 2300' and airspeed of 112 mph (98 knots) in the vicinity of Foley. Those engine-out patterns (practice or real) are flown at minimum 120-125 knots. Indications of something other than incapacitation going on here?
How strong was the wind? If someone had already feathered an engine, and had not had a successful restart, and was making for a paved surface rather than ejecting, is it possible that a pilot was making an adjustment to profile and lost control? Not gonna speculate, as it appears that a possible LOC may have been at a higher altitude.

Last edited by Lonewolf_50; 12th Nov 2020 at 14:36.