PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Falkland Islands Cleared of Landmines
View Single Post
Old 11th Nov 2020, 10:35
Downwind.Maddl-Land

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by ORAC
Falklands cleared of landmines almost 40 years after war
Hmmm, if you believe that - I have a bridge I want to sell you! 'They' also said that about Yorke Bay beach ("K" on MPN11's Minefield Map) which was green on earlier issues and where many personnel - civilian and Service - exercised regularly! Right up until an urgent and extremely rapidly distributed out-of-sequence re-issue of the said map had it coloured RED. The 'urban myth' was that an RE jogging there had noticed a 'suspicious object' which on investigation proved to be a mine and which was precursor of finding many more! The story went on that an especially strong wind and tidal coincidence had temporarily lowered the sand level of the beach to a point where a significant minefield had now been re-exposed. Can't vouch for the veracity of that tale, but certainly the Minefield Map - normally routinely issued on a Thursday (?) - was urgently re-issued overnight with the beach as a 'no go area' area in the third or fourth quarter of '82!

Also had a similar incident to Fortissimo's when self and Smudger Smith went walkabout up Tumbledown and realised that we were most probably on the wrong side of a fence that delineated the edge of a minefield! Tiptoe through the tulips wasn't in it.....