PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pilot shortage 2021
View Single Post
Old 10th Nov 2020, 21:48
PilotLZ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
dns, further to the social and the learning elements (which are both very real - teaching a novice how to do a real-life job only by Zoom and shared screen is a lot harder than in person) there's also one more thing. Any task requiring collaboration, collective brainstorming and creativity is seriously impeded by the virtual environment. And that's not just my own observation. Many people, in aviation and otherwise, share that those "Eureka!" moments when a great new solution is born are a lot harder to come across in home office mode.

Going forward, I think that the optimal solution would be to cap remote working vacancies to a certain percentage (not more than 30%, I think) and assign them with priority to those who have a specific, substantial reason to work from home (and are willing to do so, of course). Team members in poor health, pregnant women, parents taking care of small kids, people giving care to ill family members should be assigned a remote working vacancy with priority over those who do not face any such special circumstances. That sounds like an optimal way to keep productivity high, office-dependent local businesses running and people happy.