PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BALPA Advises against becoming a pilot
View Single Post
Old 9th Nov 2020, 21:56
Bealzebub

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If I did my training over the next 12 months, but then had to hang about for a year or so before an airline job arrived, would that be a problem?
Tell me more about this “airline job” arriving? I appreciate a large dollop of naivety is evident, but is that really what you think happens? Airlines are making pilots with tens of thousands of hours redundant. Do you honestly believe that that there is likely to be a mandate to go out and seek CPL holders with 250 hours? If so, why?

Wouldn't I just have to do enough hours to keep current or do airlines only look at cadets who have recently finished their training?
A flight crew normally comprises 2 pilots. A Captain and usually a First officer. In the case of the latter, that pilot will have a reasonable amount of relevant aviation experience. The First officer may also be a “cadet.” Generally, that means they are an inexperienced pilot who has followed a specific programme of flight training that has been tailored towards an airlines apprenticeship programme. Not all (indeed not many) airlines operate Cadet programmes. Those that do, tend to use them as a fast track apprenticeship to the right seat of that airline. For the airline, the benefits are junior pilots with a known provenance. These cadets are demanding on training resources, but that is offset by reduced early career salaries and strict probationary requirements. On top of this, the prospective cadet assumes nearly all of their own financial risks.

The “self improver” CPL holder with 250 hours isn’t normally a prospective “cadet.” Airlines recruiting First officers will generally look for experience that is commensurate with their operating requirements. That means they usually want experienced type rated pilots. Normally there is absolutely no shortage of such candidates. Piles of applications are whittled down to the best and most suitable candidates who are then offered interviews to further whittle down the process.

The new CPL is really an “aerial work” licence. It allows you to work for remuneration. Flying instruction and other light aircraft work were always the traditional ways of amassing experience to work your way up the career ladder to the “pinnacle” jobs. In recent years the perception that a CPL and 250 hours was a golden ticket to the airlines has very much taken root and very often been the source of much angst and disappointment.

Airlines are in the business of making money and like any business they look for the best product at the cheapest cost. For the foreseeable future they will have pilots with thousands and thousands of hours of relevant experience prepared to sell that experience and their acquired skills at a truly knock down price. Do you honestly believe these companies are going to have a demand for 250 hour licence holders with no experience to offer? It’s also worth bearing in mind that training becomes stale very quickly. Licences and ratings are a perishable commodity and they are very expensive to keep current. You only have to speak to airline pilots now about their serious concerns as their own Licence standard tests and Operator proficiency checks expire.