PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Buenos Aires / Argentina
View Single Post
Old 6th Nov 2020, 05:53
pistongone

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Flight Line

My partner is Argentinian, a "Porteno"! When I visit her family there, they live in City Bell, 10 km west of La Plata, we go to this place https://www.aeroclublaplata.com.ar/
They have a fleet of Cub's at around £43/hr wet, C172 'A and B with the Conti 0300's I think for around £51/hr wet. Also an Archer for around £55/hr wet from memory. The Peso is really good price to us now, about 103/£ Last time I checked. The club is run by Aerolineas Argentinas Airline crew and they are very friendly even to a traditional Brit, at the weekends they usually do a great Asado for the pilots and friends. The first time i went there, they gave me a tour of the facility and introduced me to the engineer and he was working on the Archer. It was good to see the machines being well maintained etc!
The 172 I flew had no intercom and no Txp, so you couldn't go west over Buenos Aires, but you can fly over La Plata which is a massive Diagonal Grid city with a huge Cathedral in the centre and the safety pilot didn't seem to be to concerned with the glide clear rule!! The Archer is fully equipped. I looked into getting a rating there and your licence is recognised there, I hold an EASA PPL, but the "Gnocchi's" are not known for there efficiency! Word was in a nutshell, a month of paper work in BA and a few visits to ANAC as you have to hold an Argentinian Licence to fly solo, ISTR you need to speak Spanish to go solo? The airline staff and the young instructor I flew with all spoke English to a good level though. If you are only going to fly a few days I would just take a safety pilot, there are a few young instructors and they don't charge for their time! There are a few more airfields along the river towards BA, Berazategui has this one https://aeroclubriodelaplata.********.com/ I didn't try them as we were closer to the other place, but they seem to have similar prices to La Plata. In the last few years the Peso has gone from 25 to 103 Peso's to the £, so the flying is very cheap! I was looking into setting up an hour builders package, but with the current situation that is on hold! Regarding that situation, they do have some harsh restrictions there, similar to the last French ones where you need written permission to be out in your car etc, they even had a system of odd and even number registration plates for different days! If you want the latest info, I could ask the family for the latest news.
One tip for getting cash there, use https://www.riamoneytransfer.com/gb/en We use them regularly to send money to her Family there and because of the Blue Dollar rate you get about 40% more than out of the cash machine!! Unfortunately there is no way to get the profit out of the country, we have looked at all angles, buy gold, not allowed to export, shares can only be sold internally etc etc. Can't even buy goods online to be delivered outside the country, we've tried it all! But it does at least make your stay there even more of a bargain.
If you want any recommendations on places to stay and eat etc, or more importantly, where not to stay drop me a pm and I will be happy to oblige. For example, just 1 km to the south west of the field is a large Favela, a very no go area! Basically it is pretty safe, but try not to look like a tourist and don't show any signs of wealth if you are walking the city etc. I would say it is similar to some of the not so salubrious parts of London, and you just need to be a bit street wise and keep your head down!

An old Dove Gate Guardian!

The Cathedral in the Centre of town

Last edited by pistongone; 6th Nov 2020 at 13:47. Reason: Replace link.