PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Preventing In Flight Deployment of Thrust Reverse 737NG
Old 6th Nov 2020, 03:37
Dave Therhino

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by PantLoad
Forgive me for a poor memory, but maybe 35 years ago, I recall an accident somewhere in the U.S. where a 737-200 ran off the end of the runway on landing. Can’t remember who/where. But, I do remember it was the typical unstable approach to a wet runway...can’t remember if there was a slight tailwind involved...not sure.

Anyway, typical deal...touched down fast, beyond the touchdown zone, very smooth touchdown. No wheel spin-up, not enough weight to compress the struts, therefore no auto speed brake deployment. Unable to deploy thrust reverse because of all this. Aircraft smoothly glided off the end.

PantLoad
Pretty darn good memory in fact!

Piedmont flight 467 at Charlotte, NC in 1986. Here's the report:

http://libraryonline.erau.edu/online...s/AAR87-08.pdf

At the time of the flight 467 accident the 737-200 required weight on main gear to allow reverser deployment. The conditions required for reverser deployment on that airplane were described in detail in the report. Originally the 737 required weight on the nose gear as well. The SB that eliminated the nose gear part of the logic was mentioned in the Cranbrook accident report as having been incorporated on that airplane.

Last edited by Dave Therhino; 6th Nov 2020 at 05:19.