PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - UK Strategic Defence Review 2020 - get your bids in now ladies & gents
Old 5th Nov 2020, 19:13
Finningley Boy

Received 77 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally Posted by pr00ne
Blair Brown were in dispute about succession, not fiscal policy.
pr00ne,

From all I'm given to understand, not what I actually know of course, there was considerable disagreement between Blair and Brown concerning a couple of policy decisions, one was whether or not to take us into the Euro, Blair wanted in, Brown out, for fiscal reasons indeed. Then there was the interventionist nature of Blair and his seeming obsession with standing by Bush Jnr every step of the way, hence Gulf War 2. Brown was very much a reluctant participant and didn't/couldn't/wouldn't find the funding for the Defence Budget which the Defence Chiefs believed was necessary to maintain all the overseas campaigns and maintain the kind of projected peacetime defence posture, determined through SDR '98, outside of this. The result was very much the outcome of Hoon's "Delivering Security in an ever changing World" (I hope I've got the title right) review in 2004. Hope this post doesn't place me below the bar of that expected of a "professional" contributant.

FB