PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - UK ATCO Redundancies
View Single Post
Old 1st Nov 2020, 07:23
Atlantic Explorer

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by escaped.atco
I don't mean to talk ATC down, I do believe however that as a group we need to be realistic regarding the state of our industry. Pilots are essential, they were also expensive, they have borne the brunt of cost cutting in many companies - both job cuts and degraded T&Cs. Ground handlers are also essential, they are relatively inexpensive, they have also borne a heavy price in job cuts. I suppose my point is that as a group we cannot expect to survive this crisis unscathed - thats not talking ATC down, its just my opinion that everyone within aviation will be affected in now way or another. When someone gets in their head that they're essential and effectively untouchable then thats a dangerous place to be. Remember every business is run by accountants - people that know the cost of everything and the value of nothing. If they can save a few quid over a relatively short term period then the problems in a few years will be just that - not something to worry about just now. I have sat in meetings with airport managers and believe me they only see the large wage bill from ATC, if it can be reduced then they really don't care the potential issues that might be there at a later time.

I take great pride in my profession, always have done. Ultimately though the older I get the more I realise we are just numbers on a spreadsheet in an accountants office.
Completely agree with that. Aviation right now is undergoing a ‘reset’ like never before. There have and will have to be cuts/ savings in every aspect of aviation, nobody is safe. There is no sign of any recovery right now and the losses just continue to compound exponentially. It’s a dire situation.