PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Lufthansa 747's stuck at an airport they can't legally fly out of.
Old 31st Oct 2020, 19:09
Hot 'n' High

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Wycombe
Pretty sure some 744's have departed (as well as arrived for the final time) from Kemble's 6000ft (approx) runway. In fact, I believe the Corsair examples that have been there recently are due to leave (if they haven't already)?
Wycombe, just happened to be passing by Kemble today. Firstly, sobering to see all the hulks down there. I recall Belfasts, Argosies and Andovers lined up for disposal in the 70's - but never anything on the scale of today! Wondered why so many folk were about. Ended up seeing an ex-Saudi -400 depart 1530-ish for Doncaster - once they had sorted a snag on the #3 which seemed to be attracting some TLC from the techies ahead of departure!!!! Suitably sized hammer eventually located and it was all systems go from there. Amazing to watch it go and almost immediately enter into a RH climbing turn up to 8000 for onward clearance into the airways. Last seen in the sunlight climbing towards the SE probably overhead Fairford by then. I guess there will still be 747F's about for a while and not all pax 747's have gone but it was deffo a case of "is that the last one I'll see depart?" as now retired from Aviation (a heart op ("just to check you have one!" as my last Boss observed - the bu&&er knew me too well!!) + then Covid made the decision for me). Definitely the closest I will be to one ever again.