PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The F-35 thread, Mk II
View Single Post
Old 29th Oct 2020, 16:26
SLXOwft

Received 131 Likes on 85 Posts
Originally Posted by BATCO
F35 Lightning II might be a mouthful. But 'Lightning" isn't. Perhaps we should revert to "Dave"
I can see a likeness in form and colour to the PzKpfw V Panther.

Courtesy of the Bundesarchiv

Isn't Panther another name for a Cougar......

<Nerd mode on>I assume Lightning (II) was thought to be a good thing politically for US-UK relations. However, I thought it was just Lightning in the UK, Did anyone ever actually refer to the F-4 as the Phantom II? The original Phantom was the FH-1 the USN equivalent of the RN's Attackers. Apparently there was a desire among the USN F-35 community, and possibly others, to rename it Reaper as "Lightning II wasn't intimidating enough". Googling gives other names used as Fat Amy and Battle Penguin.

Lightning like any name can get discarded once exported

The IDF/AF call it the Adir = Mighty. The name given F16C/D block 30s was Barak = Lightning and Block 40s were Barak II - so Lightning II

It may not be a USAF reuse but if official surely it would have to be Panther II or has the F9F also been forgotten? Also the AS565 Panther is the military version of the Eurocopter AS365 Dauphin. And once they reach Lakenheath they will be alongside the F-15Es of the 494th FS "Panthers"<Nerd mode off>

I am still prepared to argue for Sea Fury for the UKs Bs.

Last edited by SLXOwft; 29th Oct 2020 at 16:36. Reason: gardening