PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Tolerating an un-airworthy aircraft. Wing drops at stall
Old 24th Oct 2020, 23:54
David J Pilkington

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Judd
While the article does not record how many degrees of wing drop on that particular Piper Warrior constituted "an unrelenting habit of dropping the right wing at the stall", the description by the author would suggest it was considerably more than 15 degrees. ..... the amount of reported wing drop would indicate the aircraft was un-airworthy
I had wondered about that when I read the article. But the author did not "suggest it was considerably more than 15 degrees" nor was there an "amount of reported wing drop". Perhaps he would respond to the question in the next issue of the magazine?

The regulation states something like "
it must be possible to prevent more than 15 degrees of roll or yaw by the normal use of controls". It refers to the test pilot not an average pilot as other sections of the regulations require. It therefore does not preclude the behaviour that the author described.

Warriors don't normally behave like that so it seems that there is something not right about the airplane anyway so should be rectified, in my opinion.

Originally Posted by Judd
..... defective or incorrect rigging. The latter is the most likely in this case.
Yes, my guess too. I have flown a Decathlon which had a couple of degrees of washin instead of nil to a tad of washout which resulted in unacceptable (to me) behaviour at the stall with a sharp, substantial wing drop which I was unable to prevent. It had been a few years since I had flown that particular one and it had behaved normally before. I can only guess as to how it got like that. It didn't take long to fix it - rig it per the service manual.