PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Union under COS 18?
View Single Post
Old 23rd Oct 2020, 18:50
cannot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It was the same thing in 99 sign or be fired , If everyone on A scales had refused to sign they would have fired all A scalers ,
the airline would then have stopped operating ,why ? because CX chose to fire their workforce ,the pressure from the HK Govt
to get CX up and running would have been immense, I have always maintained that CX would have backed down if
shown a resolute show of unity . They would still have to pay the B scalers and the Cabin crew with virtually no money coming in
so the pressure would really have been on them , after all they chose to dismiss all A scale pilots .
Sadly though people went up to the 3rd floor telling the managers that they would sign which ultimately strengthened their hand
a unified front would have had a massive impact and I suspect the Ed Rottington would have been terminated if we had stuck together
This brings me back to today , this situation is very serious and had we had a good contract and relationship with the company I think most people
would have willingly taken a pay hit for as long as it took to ride this out, on the understanding that when the situation improved we would return
to the existing COS and be compensated when cash became available .
so it’s all very well to criticise the union but we are all the union . Imagine the negotiating strength the committee would have if they were
assured that the members were prepared to do whatever it took to achieve their goals .
i am not talking about this unparalleled disaster where I think we would all have Willingly pitched in to help had we been treated fairly
over the last 20 years .

so for a large number of people who complain about the union , take a good look in the mirror and ask yourself, what risks was I Prepared to take
To get the union and the contract that I wanted