PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Touch & Go Advice
View Single Post
Old 22nd Oct 2020, 23:19
Roj approved

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I tend to agree with Mach E Avelli on this one, there really is no gain from touch and go training in a modern transport type. The sims are all Level D, which means they replicate the aircraft characteristics, to negates the need for “base training”. (Yes, I know it’s not exactly the same, but close enough)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Full_flight_simulator

I am aware some authorities still require “base training”, but the risk really outweighs the reward as there is no time a touch and go will ever be required. Baulked landing and low level go arounds are a “normal” procedure that all crews should be versed in.

The real benefit from the touch and go sessions that I have done in 4 Jet endorsements has been to up the scan rate, get the mouth music going and manual manipulation, which leaves me with a nice appreciation of the way the aircraft flies. But doing this in the safe environment of the Sim is good enough, no point heightening the risk.

On smaller aircraft, without simulators, on a nice long runway, if done safely, it can provide the student with the above gains. But history will show, it is still a risky endeavour and all care should be taken.