PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Old Lockheed "Starfighter" story
View Single Post
Old 20th Oct 2020, 13:34
SLXOwft

Received 130 Likes on 84 Posts
Originally Posted by Krystal n chips
Would now be a good time to mention the two that flew at low level down the Mersey valley, over Stockport, heading East a few years ago.....one of those "temporarily uncertain of our position " events I recall....entertaining to watch, and listen to.
KnC - As a former local, I would love to have more details.

KG54 - Keeping low to maintain separation from those on approach to EGCC's rwy 24 (as it then was) perhaps? Which reminds me of the story a controller told me of when (sometime in the '70s) he realised a pilot was mistaking the lights of the M56 for those of the 24 approach, obviously a crew also being "temporarily uncertain of our position ". I recall the local WX being a contributory factor.

My recollections are seeing displays by 'Hooters' as a teenager. These being alternating intense and unmistakeable noise and waiting for them to complete their turns. I always thought the poor turn rate and stall characteristics would count against it in combat, if the opponent had time to react. Its mixed perfomance in actual combat seems to bear it out.