PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 'The World Owes Me a Living' (1945 film)
View Single Post
Old 18th Oct 2020, 17:17
fauteuil volant

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
An interesting film. As to the plot, well, let's just say that it left something to be desired. But the aviation content made it well worth watching.

In addition to the Bristol Fighter (G-ACCG) and the Avian (G-EBWU), the film also featured Klemm L27 (G-ABJX) - which is recorded as having been withdrawn from use in November 1939 and scrapped at Burton, Wiltshire, in 1946. However judging by the film, in 1944 it was capable of taxying and, it seems, flying. So I wonder what happened to it in 1945/46 which led to it being scrapped so soon after being used for filming?

Furthermore, judging by the film the Avian was in surprisingly good condition for something recorded as having been transferred to the studio as 'stage property'. It is shown with its motor running smoothly and taxying.

The film also featured an unidentified Tiger Moth and quite a bit of footage of an Airspeed Horsa being assembled (to represent the 'freight glider' on which the latter part of the film majors). Beyond that, the aviation content appears to be mockups and models - the former of a cockpit of a Dragon Rapide (but with two forward seats) or a Dragonfly and the latter of the same and the Bristol Fighter. Also featured is what I presume to be stock footage of a 1930s twin engine monoplane bomber (which I failed to identify).

The film is being shown again next Thursday morning.

Addendum: am I correct in recollecting that in the film the forward cockpit of the Klemm had been faired over?