PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAF Bovingdon - 1960s
View Single Post
Old 17th Oct 2020, 21:58
OUAQUKGF Ops

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Recording of Eric W Bowkett (obit 2012)

In 2009 Eric Bowkett retired ATCO and one time Navigator recorded his memories for The Imperial War Museum. Eric joined The Lancashire Aircraft Corporation at Bovingdon as a Halifax Navigator and served on the Berlin Airlift based at Schleswigland Germany flying Diesel Oil into Berlin (Tegel). The Company operated a dozen Halifax/Halton aeroplanes on the airlift with a pool of twenty crews. It seems very likely that a crew would remain together for the duration.

https://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/item/object/80024106

Reels 3-5 cover the period in question.

Most of the images below extracted from The Berlin Air Lift booklet published by The Lancashire Aircraft Corporation (I found a cheaper copy than that offered on that auction site.)

I dare say some of us oldies have come across one or two of these chaps during our time. Credit LAC.

With regard to the above Captain Robert Freight, Navigator James Sharp and Flight Engineer W.J. Patterson were killed when Halton G-AJZZ crashed at Schleswigland on 21 March 1949. The Radio Operator J.Hamilton survived.

In addition three LAC Ground Engineers were killed in a ground accident with a Hastings at Schleswigland on 15th January 1949:
They were Theodor Supernatt, Patrick Griffin and Edward O'Neil. I believe their German driver also died.

Eric Bowkett mentions both these incidents.

The U.S Mobile canteen at Tegel mentioned by Bowkett. Photo credit LAC.

Hastings TG534 of 297 Squadron. Fuel leak on startup at Schleswigland 6th April 1949. Mentioned by Bowkett. Photo credit the Late Peter Hewins.

Photo Credit LAC.

Last edited by OUAQUKGF Ops; 18th Oct 2020 at 07:21.