PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Royal Brunei Airlines Mass Firings
View Single Post
Old 17th Oct 2020, 21:21
PilotLZ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
While I certainly feel very sorry for all our colleagues who lost their jobs and wish everyone as quick and painless a solution to their situation as practically possible, I also back the thesis that there will never be a shortage of applicants for any ME carrier.

Sources of said applicants? Well, in the first place, there are plenty of people who don't have many good opportunities in the aviation industries of their respective countries. Even in Europe there are countries where your only chance to get your hands on a wide-body is moving to either the ME or further east into Asia. Let alone that, globally, there are plenty of third-world places where even narrow-body flying is shambles (and life in those places in general is even worse than the flying). To this we add all the people who are simply looking for some variety in their lives and careers and would be glad to get off the beaten track for a couple of years and try something completely different. There are also those who want to quickly save up for a home, a more comfortable retirement, their children's education or whatever else and would be happy to give up social life for a while for the sake of it. Not to mention that, sadly, there will be many of those who would happily take anything in the near future as they have already been unemployed for up to a year now, with no end in sight yet.

The opportunities will be there. Whether they will be suitable or not for you, depends on what you're looking for. Today's situation is major eye-opener to those who expect to go to the sand pit once and spend the rest of their working lives there. This might easily not be the case for many. But, for some looking for a couple of years of variety, it will be just fine, as it has always been.