PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Isle of Man-2
Thread: Isle of Man-2
View Single Post
Old 15th Oct 2020, 12:43
116d

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by milleriom
To advance your wishes you need to address your thoughts to the UK people.
Nope. My point about the Manx government needing to consider how they will deal with the virus beyond closing borders is aimed at the Manx government and still stands. Whilst I don't disagree that the behaviour of some people in the UK is appalling when it comes to the virus, this isn't the thread for it and, by the way, the decision to close the borders wasn't made by the UK and nor is it the UK that's keeping them closed.

I see Jersey introduced a testing system for all arrivals whereby you either get tested on arrival or you get a test done prior to travel. Is there a valid reason why a similar scheme can't be introduced in the Isle of Man?

As for no TT next year, that's a matter for the Manx government and what economic support they will have to stump up for losing that for the second consecutive year along with lack of tourism. The hole this will leave in the government coffers will need to be filled somehow. How do Manx folk feel about having to pay more tax?

I agree with Tonyq that although now isn't the time to ease things, there's no clarity about what's next and what the timescales are. For example, when Mr Quayle said over a month ago that he would only consider easing border restrictions when cases in the UK was at 1 in every 5,000 people (or something like that), it was new information to me and looking back at news articles, it wasn't made clear at the time when the border levels were announced. From afar, it sounds as though strategy is being made up as they go along. I know it was announced that they may consider easing things to allow immediate family to return over Christmas, but I'm not confident it will come to that and I suspect it was made partly to appease those calling for restrictions to be eased and being mindful Christmas is coming.