PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Trenchard lecture The Dambuster legend in Wartime Britain is now online.
Old 13th Oct 2020, 06:21
Downwind.Maddl-Land

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Archimedes
In fairness, there was - in press reports. Schwlem(e) was used in error for the Ennepe.
Thank you, Archimedes, for reinforcing my point of which I was fully aware. However, my sub-text was that anyone wishing to re-write history could at least make a pretence of undertaking some basic research before indulging in a written denigration of a famous and well documented historical event. With respect to the location of Bill Townsend's attack, the evidence is pretty conclusive that he did, indeed, attack the Bever dam, not least from a German soldier on leave who witnessed an aircraft make several approaches, release a weapon that detonated with a big explosion. Given the misty ground conditions prevailing that dramatic night, Bill Townsend and his crew can be entirely forgiven for their honest mistake; Dave Shannon nearly did the same thing when he located another small dam in the vicinity of the Eder and initially mistook it for the target until Gibson fired very lights overhead the Eder dam.