PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA @ Edinburgh shambles this evening.
View Single Post
Old 10th Oct 2020, 21:08
WindSheer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by The96er
Completly miss-understood the situation - you're implying that the issue was/is caused by people unwilling to work !? - The reality is aviation is looking down the gun barrel of the abyss and simply has no money to pay for the staff/equipment needed and not an unwillingness of staff to work. I've no doubt that what staff were on that night in EDI wore working under an impossible to achieve workload. The notion that it's the fault of the individuals on the Ramp is simply unfair on them.
Not a single word in my post is pointing a finger at the individuals on the ramp. My post is highlighting the issue in culture v business v cost. I am very experienced in risk mitigation and the balance between reasonable practicality versus cost. I am also very experienced in ramp operations and the time bound pressures that ground crews face, particularly when dealing with outbound v inbound aircraft.
Historically (and with financial penalties in mind), airports, airlines and handling agents have prioritised departures versus arrivals. My point was more towards the industry needing to take shift in risk mitigation. Unfortunately safety has now knocked both performance and cost saving out of the park. Keeping people waiting on aircraft in this pandemic will cost far more than a few additional ground agents in the long run. People just won't stand for it and will take their business elsewhere. Rail, drive etc.

I think the OP is very on topic and has a justified argument in the current climate.