PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Southampton-2
Thread: Southampton-2
View Single Post
Old 7th Oct 2020, 11:41
TheFlyingWalrus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I wonder if 02 is obstacle limited with the big railway shed to the right? If the runway is extended as the main benefit is for 20, 02 then becomes the limiting runway, in use 40% of the time? Would not be sensible to have a flying programme based on performance you can only use 60% of the time - other wise you end up not refuelling (to get the performance,) taking off and landing at BOH to refuel and then use their longer runway, then flying flat out to try and get back before SOU closes. Very embarrassing - we sometimes had to do this.

Over the years the emergency turn procedure for 20 came and went. Essentially if engine fail turn right 15 deg at end of the runway over the Itchen.
On the 146 this would give us maybe another 200kg. But it was dependent on some trees right on the edge of the Type A chart (I think it was) and whether these were factored in or disregarded by the powers that be.

If it was me I would make sure this was a available, and save the £15m to try and weather the storm.

Back in the day if performance limited and on 02 we would do standing start with the tail right over the arrestor bed, which then blew the litag material across the motorway. Interestingly didn’t happen on the 195. I remember on one such occasion full of pax for Spain, with the performance worked out to the kilo, OAT rising, setting off at the same time the airport Kestral uncharacteristically decided to cross the runway at low level.
I saw this streak to my left at about 80kts. We kept going. I later found out the Kestral had been found on its back in the grass, feet in the air, but stunned. It was taken to some kind of sanctuary where it made a full recovery. Happy times.

I’m very grateful to have had many great years at SOU and I wish the airport all the best. R.