PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Is the Cadet Pilot extinct down under?
View Single Post
Old 5th Oct 2020, 14:25
"Littlebird"

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As long as there are wealthy parents and not so wealthy parents that live their dreams through their children, cadet schemes will live on. Saying that, the Virgin cadet program is dead and will not re-emerge for a long time, if ever. So that leaves Qantas, Jetstar and ReX as potential providers in Australia.
Virgin recently made 800 pilots redundant (all 777, 330, ATR, NZ 737 and Tigerair 737 and 320 pilots). In addition, there are hundreds of pilots redundant and returning to Australia from China, Japan, Vietnam, Hong Kong and the Middle East. I would guess there would be at least 2000 unemployed experienced pilots in Oz right now.
Even during the good times with recruitment in full swing, there are barely 100 jobs available every 12 months in Australia. Do the math!
Also, Virgin have committed to re-employ from the redundant pilots until the year 2028. Therefore, there will be hardly any jobs for externals available at Virgin for the next 7 years.
To any newly qualified pilot or person contemplating being a pilot, I would offer the same advice that I received from my instructors over 25 years ago. Try and join the defence force as a pilot, and if no joy, pick a career that will make you enough money to fly as a hobby.

Last edited by "Littlebird"; 5th Oct 2020 at 14:50.