PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Is the Cadet Pilot extinct down under?
View Single Post
Old 4th Oct 2020, 03:33
dr dre

Received 351 Likes on 191 Posts
Originally Posted by SITTINGBULL
So if Cadetships become they way of the future here In Australia, what does this mean for experienced and well deserving GA drivers come recruitment time? I.e.

Example CV;
Degree
ATPL Theory
500-2000 Multi
100 Night
4000+ TT (If were talking about 5 years no external hiring)

do they get shafted to the curb?
Who is the person behind those numbers? Can they work in a team, or are they single pilot focused? Will
they follow SOPs? Can they communicate well? Do they respond well to constructive criticism and strive to improve themselves? Do they have established decision making processes? Do they bark out orders or lead from example? Would you want to spend hours locked up in a flight deck with them? Do they show hazardous attitudes? Are they argumentative, it’s my way or the highway?

Numbers on a resume only show you a fraction of the person you’re going to recruit. Airlines have switched to personality based recruitment for a reason.

As far as what will the future hold for that person, who knows? It could be positive or negative, all signs point to ab initio pilots marking up a bigger chunk of airline recruitment in the future.

Surely there will be a genuine need for actual experience in some RPT cockpit somewhere?
The one sitting on the LHS? Some airlines are almost all cadet recruitment based, LH springs to mind. I think they can fly planes.