PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Is the Cadet Pilot extinct down under?
View Single Post
Old 3rd Oct 2020, 12:26
wheels_down

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is the Cadet Pilot extinct down under?

It appears that may operators globally are targeting cadets in layoffs. It appears there is going to be no need for any Cadet Factories in the medium to even long term.

However it appears our operators have yet to drop the axe on such programs, as I am aware of one who is still ‘business as normal’. Even though the airlines pilots, who have recently been advised of reduced workload in the coming years, would be lucky to see a roster every couple of months. Then there is the issue of current Cadets within the company facing delayed promotion prospects, which in turn puts the brakes on the next fresh batch walking in the door.

Many of these cadets have been giving some form of false hope in that they will be rehired when things improve, or, in that they are young they will have long and distinguished careers ahead. I’m not convinced that a 45yr old Emirates or Tiger FO will be overlooked for a 20 something 2 striper with a very basic CV. They don’t have any GA background to back them up if they wanted to go down that route.

I also have an issue with the large amount of people who have been made redundant and then replacing these people with fresh 2 stripes in the future.

I guess that opens up the next can of worms, are all these big flying operations producing dozens of CPL pilots yearly, essentially a dead business? I can’t see any Labor governments propping them up.