PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Worldwide Redundant Pilots-Smile Please
View Single Post
Old 2nd Oct 2020, 06:32
CW247

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Humanity learns from adversity. We become more resilient with each crisis. Bouncebacks are stronger not least because all that pent up will and energy needs to be exercised. No money? Both my neighbours are broke as hell in average to low paid jobs. They holiday much more than me and have always done so. Yes, business travel is unlikely to ever make a recovery but it's my view a lot of business travel is not colleagues meeting other colleagues but companies meeting clients. And you simply don't risk a new business deal for the sake of spending £200 in a flight ticket. So it won't be as bad as we think.

Next year is a write off and there will be more bankruptcies, perhaps even major ones but next year this time airlines will be making solid plans for a major surge in flying for 2022. There will be a temporary recruitment crisis. Not necessarily because of a shortage of pilots but due to an inability to get us all trained, renewed and online. If they're wise they'll start early.

I think the greatest amount of doom and gloom comes from those in their 50s and 60s who were in cushy jobs and know there is nothing out there that can ever match the cosseted lifestyle and high renumeration they had. For us in our 30s and 40s we have much more acceptance of the new norm and have a very tempered expectation.