PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Expenses after License (ATPL)
View Single Post
Old 30th Sep 2020, 12:13
redsnail

PPRuNe Handmaiden

Received 40 Likes on 22 Posts
Spid
I'm a union rep for our bizjet company. We were lucky in that we could rehire the crews that were made redundant. My husband who works for easyJet has taken a 50% pay/roster cut to ensure no crews are forced out of the company.
Many of my friends who work for various airlines around the world (UK, Europe, USA, Australia, Hong Kong) have been made redundant and probably will not fly again (late 40s and early 50s).
We're not being pessimistic. We're being realistic. Yes, aviation cycles through boom/bust periods every 10 years. In the past, there was a bolt hole, whether it be China, Middle East or the loco's in Europe.

There are no bolt holes.

I am not saying never learn to fly. Certainly not. However, keeping licenses current after training is very expensive. Timing is every thing. I have seen in the trades the prospect of no significant increase until 2024-2025. I am sure there'll be a modest increase before then, but the airlines have now a lot of crew on part time that they can recall back to full time.

However, it is your money (or someone's money) and if you want to chuck it at an organisation that really couldn't care less about you once you've finished. Crack on.