PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - A sad day for the first batch of the FIRED 600
Old 27th Sep 2020, 22:46
Maz11

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by hec7or
You can keep it, I prefer flying shorthaul in the UK and that's my choice.
It is indeed your choice, however basing all of your views of flying Longhaul in the ME on the rantings on here really isn’t representative of the whole truth.

Like I Love Twins I too was orange for over 12 years and have to agree that I never managed to adjust to the long term cumulative fatigue that brought. 4 sector max FDP days followed by minimum rest, followed by another 4 sector max FDP day, (repeat for 5 days), has left many in that field being told by their AME that they shouldn’t be full time anymore, but subsequently cannot afford (or can’t get) part time.

Of course people cope with different roster types differently, but unless you’ve operated both I really don’t think you’re qualified to discuss the differences.

proper FTLs and therefore have had plenty of rest between flights in my own time zone
And yet there were always plenty of complaints in my previous life of 11 hours in a crap hotel after a max FDP 3 sector day, to be followed the next day by another 3 sectors before you finally went home. 9 hours at work followed by 24 hours off in a nice hotel works much better for me having experienced both.

And the numerous occasions where people fell asleep driving home and went straight on when there was a round-about obviously proves that the FTLs in the EU are so robust.

Like you I managed to do all those things while working Low Cost too, but I found it a lot harder than I do here, where I still manage to do all those things.

while Maria from the Philipines brings up your kids for you
Please don’t tar us all with the same brush, me and my wife bring our kids up just fine thank you very much with no help, and she works (before you bring that up).

Yes there are multiple posts, but a 16 hour ULR where I spend 7 hours at the controls, sleep for 7, then come back to operate the descent and landing really isn’t that difficult if you manage to organise your rest correctly. There will always be fatigue in this industry, it’s one of our greatest threats, but I’ll take that ULR over a 2 crew MAN-SSH turnaround any day.

Back to the original topic, I hope everyone who is moving to pastures new through no fault of their own finds themselves back in the air (if that’s what they choose), as soon as possible. Every part of this industry needs some good news soon!