PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - L3 Harris, the final shafting
View Single Post
Old 27th Sep 2020, 10:28
ManUtd1999

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Disgusting behaviour by L3, although I can't say as I am particularly surprised. As an organisation they have been at the forefront of increasing costs and barriers to entry into aviation for 10+ years, this is just the latest low point.

To put it into context, these cadets need circa 100 hours flight training to 'upgrade' to a CPL. Pre-covid rates at local flying schools would be 150-200 GBP per hour, slightly more maybe for the multi-engine phases. L3 has decided to charge 600+ GBP her hour, a 300% markup.......

I would like to think this may finally cause enough of a reaction to shame L3 into doing something. Certainly if the pressure can continue to build on social media to drown out their usual "living the dream" nonsense then something might have to give.

However, I have long since argued that all integrated flight training should be fully-funded by airlines. This is the only way to ensure selection is based on merit. However, in the long-term do we really think this is going to change? Cadets being shafted suits the airlines, it suits the flight schools and it suits a select group of wealthy individuals who can afford to pay. There are simply not enough people prepared to break out of the "I'm alright Jack" mentality.