PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - QF Group possible Redundancy Numbers/Packages
Old 24th Sep 2020, 06:19
ExtraShot

Received 33 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by C441
I have no doubt that FIFO is here to stay, but from the wa.gov.au:

The categories of "exempt traveller" are set out in detail in the Directions. It is important that any person who is seeking to enter Western Australia reads and understands the categories of exempt traveller that are set out in the Directions. In summary, the categories include:
  • FIFO workers, subject to requirements to isolate for 14 days at an approved location at their employer's expense.
Thus you'd be spending 2 weeks of your 'time-off' back in WA in quarantine prior to recommencing your next period back at work. I'm not sure too many would find this reasonable if choosing to "keep the missus happy and just commute from Sydney". (Neither would their employer if they're footing the bill).

A few FIFO workers may, as did the Qantas pilots who commuted to the Perth base for the 330 and 787. They didn't have to quarantine for 14 days though although some might say it felt like it at times when on a blankline.
I was making a general point about people moving West for work, not necessarily due to the pandemic. Im well aware of the quarantine requirements, having done a number of 14 day periods myself. However, These militant border closures are temporary. Very few people are going to move their family across the country at great expense, away from relatives, schools, and other networks for something that could change within months, only to then leave them for two weeks at a time to go work up North.

Many people from the East (I say a majority), who do FIFO right now are just forgoing the visit home to the East to avoid the 14 day quarantine. Some havent seen their families since February/March.
They are dealing with the hardships, and hoping that the WA Government will eventually come to its senses and adopt a more reasonable approach.

The commute from the East will return when the hard state border softens. And it will, with some indications in the local rag today indicating that there's a chance it might be sooner than people think.

Last edited by ExtraShot; 24th Sep 2020 at 07:23.