PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - All the attributes of a good flight instructor
Old 22nd Sep 2020, 16:28
Bergerie1

Received 46 Likes on 18 Posts
Without going into any technicalities, I would put my number one characteristic is an attitude of mind which is, 'treat everyone as you would wish to be treated yourself' - remember how you felt when you first ventured into the air, how you wanted to be treated and helped. Flying instruction is not an ego trip, you need to have a nurturing, helpful attitude of mind.

Next, be quite clear about what you need to teach - AND - set about carefully bridging the gap between what the trainee knows and can do on the one hand and what, on the other, he or she is required to know and do. Too often we assume a level of knowledge, experience and expertise which the trainee may not possess. It is your job to define that.

Never bull****, it is not possible to know everything. If the trainee asks a question and you do not know the answer, admit it and promise to find out for the next training session. That way you will learn something new, you will set an example of humility (something which, in my view, is a prerequisite for safe flying), and you will earn his/her respect.

Lastly, never frighten your trainee, instead, gently introduce things step by step, with clear briefings of what to expect and how to do it.

This appies to all teaching/training. I will leave it to others on this forum to go into the specifics.

Good luck - AND - never stop learning.

Last edited by Bergerie1; 22nd Sep 2020 at 16:47.