PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - How do you keep pushing?
View Single Post
Old 20th Sep 2020, 08:54
Uplinker

Received 95 Likes on 56 Posts
The bored long-haul pilot on this thread? Just think about the positives. You have an airline pilot job. You are flying in and out of places many people will never see. You walk through prestigious airports with your crew, getting special access and treatment. You fly in a modern airliner with amazing technology and your working day is not physically hard or demanding. On long-haul during quiet times in the cruise, I did the cryptic crossword, looked out the window and marvelled at our planet, worked on the manuals, watched for satellites, the ISS and the Aurora Borealis. Boring? Never.

But if your job is actually making you physically or mentally ill, then as I said in my earlier post, you must change. Change base or fleet if you can, or get out and find another job or career. It is much easier to get a new job while already employed - while you are keeping current and qualified, and someone else is paying your living expenses. So start firing CVs out again, do your research and go and knock on doors. If you want to keep flying, then as someone on this thread said, chose a good operator you want to work for and ask the chief pilot what you need to do to be considered. I did exactly that, many years ago, and got my first Airbus FBW gig, (admittedly without the buggeration of Covid, but 9/11 happened, which stopped things for a while).