PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Is the grass really greener? Perspectives from an escapee.
Old 20th Sep 2020, 01:30
Sam Ting Wong

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Seems like you left with an axe to grind..

I don't have any emotional attachment to my employer, just a job really.Happy to hear you found a better place, no hard feelings or envy. I actually would like to leave as well.

Maybe ask yourself though why you are so much happier? My impression is that the most prominent reason to leave is simply the desire to live at home or the threat of having to move to Hong Kong for a command. Imagine CX would offer the same conditions ( money and tax of HK, patterns of a local airline, etc) plus a base in your home town. Would it be such a bad place to work for?

My impression is you project your frustration on CX. The safety argument is not for real, the training and checking is bearable, the working times and long haul crew compositions are overall above average.

It all boils down to living in Hong Kong and working with colleagues from a different cultural background. It is hard for a guy like Cxorcist to sit 10 hours next to a Chinese or European who don't share nor respect his political views, don't care about his military career etc, and I don't mean to ridicule that. Social acceptance and company with people of your own tribe is an innate desire for all of us. Living as an expat can be terrible, no doubt.It is no fun to work and live with people who regard you as a primitive redneck, neither is the prospect of flying with what one regards as "marxist snowflakes".

But none of these problems are the responsibility of CX. It is not their fault they are based in HK, of course employ people from all parts of the world, face political problems, pollution,real estate craziness, uncertainty, riots etc.

I think it would be helpful for to identify and finally acknowledge the prominent factor of Hong Kong in that game, it could help you to find peace.

Last edited by Sam Ting Wong; 20th Sep 2020 at 01:58.