PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - How do you keep pushing?
View Single Post
Old 18th Sep 2020, 01:03
Roj approved

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Keep your chin up

Plotplot,

Some very poignant stories below, Aviation is not for everyone.

I got into GA at about 26, (late ‘90’s) not that late, but I’d done some fun stuff before it, and some really ****ty jobs too.

It was almost 10 years before I was back in an Eastcoast city with an “Airline”. (Which went bust inside 2 years)

What helped me through GA was that I wasn’t straight from school/flying school, and it wasn’t my first time out of home. I’d been on the dole, worked a bunch of jobs, traveled for a few years, and it was a long search for my start. I truly believe those experiences were what kept me going through the hard times in GA.

GA can be a drag, but it can also be a heap of fun too.

I worked/meet a lot of pilots in your situation, you are not alone, and I feel for you. They also thought everything would be better when the got into an Airline. For that reason they didn’t stop to enjoy themselves, and some days it is hard to find the enjoyment.

But, for some of them, unfortunately, the shiny Jet Job hasn’t solved all their problems, and all of us find ourselves either stood down or unemployed at the moment. I’m back doing one of those “****ty jobs” again, Landscaping, and reminiscing of those 14 sector mail runs, all day sit at the airport in a remote community, struggling to get night hours etc.

I know what I’d rather be doing for $150 a day, and it’s not pulling weeds.

The AFAP has an Assistance program, they also have a mentoring program, these might be of some use to you to help you in this tough time. Sometimes, as you have done, reaching out might be the first step towards making some Positive changes.

Good luck, and most importantly, look after yourself, there is a lot of life ahead to enjoy when all this craziness is behind us.
Attached Images