PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - How do you keep pushing?
View Single Post
Old 17th Sep 2020, 14:19
Derfred

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I loved my GA flying. If it wasn’t for the money that my wife now enjoys, I would go back to GA tomorrow.

I suspect that if you don’t enjoy flying GA, then you won’t enjoy flying jets either.

Jets are not more enjoyable than GA. The money is better, and you might get to live in a Capital City (if that’s what you want), but the hours are awful, and you will work most precious days such as birthdays and Christmas.

You might stay in some nicer hotels, but your wife and kids won’t be there with you. It is a lonely life in that respect.

Most of us do it because we love the flying. If you don’t love flying after 4 years, you certainly won’t love it after 20-30 years, no matter what jet you are flying, and how much you are earning.

There is also considerable down pressure on airline pilot wages and conditions. What I earn now, you probably won’t earn in 20-30 years time.

So I would have to repeat what many others above have said, if you don’t love it enough to put up with all the crap that goes with it, then it is not the job for you.

Alternatively, give yourself a reality check. Are you expecting too much from life? No-one loves every minute of their job. If such a job existed, it wouldn’t be a job. You only get paid because no-one else is offering to do it for free!