PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Is the airline sector in denial about its imminent collapse?
Old 13th Sep 2020, 11:41
highflyer40

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Le Chiffre
The issue is, broadly speaking, that holidays are supposed to be fun and relaxing. This is not fun and relaxing:

1. Masks from moment you enter your departure airport to moment you leave the terminal at your destination. Even for a short-haul flight this could be 5 or 6 hours.
2. 'Traffic light' style 'on / off' lockdowns at destination venues - do you really want to be stuck in a hotel room for 2 weeks?
3. 'Traffic light' style 'on / off' requirements to quarantine when you return to the UK - you could go when everything is ok but come back to find you are stuck at home for 2 weeks.
4. Minimal 'service' at hospitality venues when you get to your destination. Plus requirements to socially distance and wear masks everywhere. In 30 degree heat!?!

Testing at airports will not be the silver bullet - the tests are producing a lot of false positives and there are major questions about how much Covid has to be in someone's system before the are declared to have it. As for thermal imaging - who wants to book a family holiday then be refused permission to fly because someone's temperature is slightly off on the day. 'Covid refund guarantees' seem to mean nothing - airlines are being really tardy about refunding money.

Public confidence is shot. People are not going to fork out thousands of pounds to go on an 'enjoyable holiday' until a reasonable solution is found to all of the above.

Very deep concerns about the future of the industry which, of course, does not just involve pilots and cabin crew.
I would beg to differ with that scenario. I have been to Cyprus twice and off to Italy tomorrow. All booked within 3-4 of departure. Just check the numbers per 100000 and if it’s below 10 there is no chance you will get caught in the changing quarantine situation.

Yes you must wear a mask on arrival at the airport, but as soon as you are through security you Plonk yourself down at the bar or restaurant and mask off until boarding time.

All flights I have been on have been at between 25-33% full. After take off everybody spaces out and you have plenty of room. On all flights I have seen some people opening a big bag of crisps or pringles and slowly eating them throughout the flight negating having to wear a mask (as you don’t need to wear a mask while eating or drinking). I personally find this wrong but.... as I’m at least 10 feet away from them it doesn’t bother me much.

once at your destination it is amazing. Lovely summer weather without the crowds. Can always get a table at any restaurant you want when you want. Your comment about wearing masks in 30 degree heat? You only need to wear a mask indoors, and a lost all restaurants are outdoor seating or at least have an outdoor seating area. The last time we were in Cyprus I believe I only wore my mask twice, both times
at the supermarket.

Would I book something for October right now? No, but I would book something for October in October say 3-4 days ahead of time.

Sorry just remembered the most cumbersome
and stressful aspect of going to Cyprus. You
have to have a negative Covid test
to get in.