PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Wheels Up at Exeter UK March 2020
View Single Post
Old 12th Sep 2020, 16:16
old,not bold

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
Wheels Up at Exeter UK March 2020

Interesting AAIB report on an incident at Exeter.

Not a comment, just a question. Would most pilots initiate a go-round after hearing both propeller tips hit the ground?

I certainly wouldn't, but what do I know......

Edit 13 Sept:

I'm puzzled that this question was demoted from R&N. I have a twin rating, though not commercial, and for me the notion that you hear your props hit the ground with the engines running at idle power at least, and then apply enough power to go round defies common sense. I know it's a 2-second decision, but a prop strike means shock damage of unknown severity, and that means a strong possibility of consequent engine and/or prop failure on both sides within a very short time, especially at take-off power. That did not happen, but if a good outcome is down to luck rather than judgement it does not vindicate the decision.

As Megan has posted, there are similarities with the Pakistani A320 pilot's decision to go round after damaging both engines on the runway. My question was intended to start a debate between pilots who know a lot more than me about the ins and outs of going around vs chopping the power and completing a wheels up landing if and when that happens without a prior warning to the handling pilot. Assuming that the approach to almost touchdown was normal there will be enough runway left to do that.

One aspect is whether or not the decision is affected by fear of the cost of doing that. If so, is that a legitimate factor? Not in my book. A double-engine and/or prop failure during the go-round could be catastrophic, and the risk of that is high if both propellers have struck the ground.

Last edited by old,not bold; 13th Sep 2020 at 08:04. Reason: Puzzled