PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Will you ever go back to Aviation?
View Single Post
Old 11th Sep 2020, 12:57
redsnail

PPRuNe Handmaiden

Received 40 Likes on 22 Posts
G'day Chrismonson85, welcome to the wonderful reality that is aviation. You've just learnt the most valuable life lesson. Reality is very different to the sales pitch. Don't worry, we have all been there.
Right now, you're justifiably worried about paying off this humungous debt and staying current. There's several ways to play this. Find any job you can and approach the bank with a repayment plan. Forget about keeping things current until this sh!tshow settles down. That's an option.

You could research the heck out of GA "up north" and work on getting the various tickets, such as Dangerous Goods, First Aid, small bus drivers lic. I doubt you'll be traveling at the moment if I've understood Australia's lock down properly? (I'm in the UK - now that's a mess. Fortunately the private jet side of aviation is absolutely booming - busier than we were last year.)
Unless you land a nice airline job first up, you'll be flying piston aircraft. So, see if you can find an Maintenance organisation that'll let you learn how to change the oil, change spark plugs, change the tyres etc.

Can you find a job in an FBO? (Fixed Base Operator). I am not sure how the business jet market is in Oz, could be worth a look.

Bottom line is you need to keep yourself occupied adding strings to your bow that won't cost you much. Any job will keep some money coming in and the bank off your back. Hopefully, showing some initiative now will help you nail the future interview.

Good luck