PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Liverpool-4
Thread: Liverpool-4
View Single Post
Old 9th Sep 2020, 06:37
SeanM1997

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BACsuperVC10
I see know reason why not and do a similar set up at LPL as they have at DSA
Although I would love to see Liverpool become a Wizz Air UK base, I think it is unlikely for the foreseeable (opinion only).

London works due to its enormous catchment, Wizz wanting to prove dominance in the large markets (hence bases in Milan and London) and to take on easyJet. Theres also a political point for Wizz at Gatwick - and wanting to prove a point about slots more than being profitable in a market (which they may do at LGW).

Why Doncaster works is there is a lack of competition at the airport. Whilst TUI operate 8 routes which Wizz will operate, they don't rival in product. Whilst they may fly to the same destinations, TUI is for package holidays - normally people who book a year in advance to go away. Wizz are a much more spontaneous buy for the consumer, with shorter booking time and lower prices - aiming at discount savvy travellers whom are happy to put a holiday together and not need every product that TUI offers - ie luggage, hold luggage or sitting together.

Liverpool faces competition from two low-cost carriers - easyJet and Ryanair. Whilst all their offering is different, many routes which Wizz would wish to operate from Liverpool would have competition from either or both these airlines. This competition, targeting similar consumers, leads to lower prices (if not loss making prices) and an unsustainable base. It also leads to some routes being overserved by 2-3 carriers whilst many potentially popular routes are less unserved.

Wizz would probably be best growing Liverpool with away based aircraft. Most routes at LPL don't have a frequency exceeding 2-3 weekly flights, so demand needs to grow on routes to show there is potential for a base.

I wouldn't rule it out but a Wizz Air base may not be best for Liverpool right now - but in the future, there is a real opportunity.